2008-07-13

Adding a Shelf to the Craftwork Area...

2008-07-13

After completing the craft area for the wife, I added a fluorescent light under the wall-mounted cabinet.  She liked it so much, she asked me to make a mini-shelf to accommodate both her thread spools and another under-cabinet fluorescent light.  So I drew up a quick design.  Nothing too fancy; just enough to do the job she needed.

Mini shelf design

For this project, I chose to use up the remaining scrap wood from when I made the oak windowsill.

Scrap wood from an earlier project

It didn't take too long for me to cut the wood on the table saw. Then I ran the outer board edges over a 3/8" rounded router bit and sanded it down with my power sander.

Wood cut and sanded

Then I got out the Golden Oak stain and stained the top side of the prepped wood. I'll resume this project tomorrow afternoon and then put on a few coats of polyurethane to keep the wood looking nice. I should be done with this in a couple of days.

Wood with the first stain treatment applied

No comments: